Five Religious Cities around the World You Should Not Miss
Religion plays an important role in the lives of a large share of people. It is the religion that can unite as well as bring peace to large groups. But it may also cause anger, discrimination and long-lasting wars. When it comes to religion, pilgrimage sites are what that most people remember first. Thousands of pilgrimage sites are there, over the whole world. Every year, millions of people visit these sacred places for the peace of their mind.
In the following write up, I have talked about some of the sacred cities around the world. As a religious person, you may pay a visit to the below-mentioned cities. Check these out now.
- Bethlehem- This small town is famous for being the birthplace of Jesus Christ. This city is situated about six miles outside of Jerusalem. Bethlehem is the home of one of the largest Palestinian Christian communities. As per the opinions of historians, this city is of about 2000 years old. Records reveal the fact that many communities attacked this city, including, the Muslim armies, Romans, Crusaders, the Sultans of Syria and Egypt. Presently, Israeli troops occupied this city. Many biblical stories are about this city. This is one of the reasons why Bethlehem has become so popular.
- Mecca – Mecca is the holiest city to Muslims. They usually visit this holy city at least once in their life. The history of Mecca is old. As per the legend, Adam was buried in the place which is now Mecca. A more accurate historical account starts in 2000 BC when Abraham, along with his son Ishmael built the Kaaba. It is a cube-shaped building which is now considered as the most sacred site in Islam. In 570, the prophet Muhammad was born in this holy city. With this, you might have realized the importance of this place.
- Varanasi – Situated in India, Varanasi is a sacred place to Hindus, Jains and Buddhists. As per the legend, Lord Shiva started this city. Hindus find this place as the most sacred one of all the seven cities. However, if you look at the historical records, you will see that this city is of 3000 years old. It used to be an industrial center. About 1 million pilgrims visit Varanasi every year. While exploring the unknown religions of the world, you may keep your belongings in a self-storage unit. You might know that self storage in Decatur, including the other locations, is in huge demand.
- Jerusalem – Jerusalem is an ancient city, dating back to 4000 BC. It is the spiritual center of the Jewish people. Jerusalem also contains several Christian sites. Over the centuries, this city has been destroyed twice. In 1981, this city became a UNESCO World Heritage Site. While visiting this place, do not forget to set your feet to the following areas- Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Temple Mount and more.
- Lhasa – Lhasa means the “place to the gods”. This city is the home of Dalai Lamas. Lhasa has several sites with historical importance, and they include, Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and so on.
So, what are you thinking? Will you explore these religious sites or not. Visit these places for the peace of your mind. You may take the help of professional tour agents for a memorable travel experience.