Salmon Nutrition and Health Benefits The Surprising Facts About This Superfood
Salmon is a fish that is rich in omega-three fatty acids, high in protein, and low in mercury. It’s no wonder that salmon is often referred to as a “superfood.” Salmon is not only good for your health, but it can also help you lose weight and improve your cholesterol levels. Here are some of the surprising facts about salmon nutrition and health benefits.
Did you know that Salmon…
- Is it an excellent source of protein? One serving of salmon (about three ounces) contains 19 grams of protein. That’s more than one-third of the daily recommended intake for adults!
- Contains omega-three fatty acids? These healthy fats have been shown to reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and decrease the risk of heart disease. Salmon is one of the best sources of omega-three fatty acids, with a single serving providing more than half of the daily recommended intake.
- Is low in mercury? Salmon is a safe fish to eat, even for pregnant women and young children. This is because salmon contains low levels of mercury, which can be harmful to developing babies and young children.
- Contains astaxanthin? This powerful antioxidant has been shown to protect against heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease. Salmon is one of the best sources of astaxanthin, with a single serving providing more than half of the daily recommended intake.
Salmon is a good source of vitamin D
Salmon is one of the few foods that naturally contain vitamin D. Vitamin D is important for bone health and can also help reduce the risk of some cancers. A single serving of salmon provides more than 100% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin D.
So there you have it, some amazing facts about salmon nutrition! Salmon is a delicious and healthy fish that can help you lose weight, improve your cholesterol levels, and reduce your risk of heart disease. So now you’re probably thinking well how can I add salmon to my diet. If you are looking for somewhere to get quality smoke salmon then I would highly recommend Lambton and Jackson.
It May benefit weight management
Salmon is a good source of protein, which is important for weight management. Salmon is also low in calories and fat, making it a great choice for those watching their weight.
One study found that people who ate salmon every day for six weeks lost more weight and body fat than those who did not eat fish. Salmon may also help reduce the risk of obesity and type II diabetes.
May improve cholesterol levels
Salmon is rich in omega-three fatty acids, which have been shown to improve cholesterol levels. One study found that people who ate salmon every day for eight weeks had lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and higher HDL (good) cholesterol levels than those who did not eat fish.
How do add salmon to your diet?
- Salmon can be cooked in a variety of ways, including baked, grilled, and smoked.
- Salmon is often sold frozen, which makes it a convenient option for busy weeknight meals.
- Canned salmon is another easy way to add this superfood to your diet. Look for canned salmon that is wild-caught and free of additives.
- Salmon with Lemon Dill Sauce
- Grilled Salmon with Mango Salsa
- Salmon Burgers
- Salmon Cakes
- Baked Salmon with Parmesan Crust
- One Pan Salmon with Roasted vegetables
- Asian Salmon in Foil Packets.
Try one of these delicious recipes or come up with your own creative way to enjoy this nutritious fish! Salmon is versatile seafood that can be cooked in many different ways and enjoyed as part of a healthy diet. What are your favorite ways to eat salmon?